Talking about Life in the United States + How to Be Successful in English
Whohoo!! I’m excited to share Episode 4 of my Confident English Spotlight interview series with you!
Every month in 2018, I’m interviewing a woman in my Confident English community who has developed a successful career, is doing amazing work for others, is doing something inspiring and has overcome challenges in English. In each interview, I also ask how they became more confident and fluent in English.
And I want to share their stories with you for inspiration and motivation.
In episode 4 of Confident English Spotlight, I interview Cida
Cida is an environmental lawyer from Brazil. She has had her own law practice for her whole career. Several years ago, Cida also became an aromatherapist after living in London for 1 year.
For the last two years, Cida has lived in the United States and today we chat about these questions:
- Let’s start with where you’re from and what is one thing you really miss about where you’re from?
- A couple of years ago you moved to the U.S. – what is something that surprised you about life in the United States?
- You have a diverse and interesting professional background. You’re an environmental lawyer and you’ve had your own practice. Talk about why environmental law is important to you.
- What is it like to have your own practice?
- In addition to your law background, you’re also a certified aromatherapist – what is that?
- Now that you’re living in the U.S., English has been essential for your daily life. What has been important to you in becoming successful in English?
- What advice would you offer to someone else who is struggling with their English confidence?
- Do you have a favorite word in English?
If you’re feeling stuck or frustrated with your English, listen to this interview! Cida offers some great advice on how to get unstuck in English.
And if you’ve missed previous episodes of Confident English Spotlight, you can find them here:
Life in the U.S. and becoming successful in English.
Lesson by Annemarie
“We have to go beyond our limits all the time in life. In English is the same. It’s a mindset change.” – Cida on how to be successful in English
Notes from Today’s Confident English Spotlight with Cida
I’d like to highlight some great language Cida used in her interview so you can add it to your daily English.
to admire someone or something = to regard with wonder, pleasure or approval.
Cida mentioned that she admires the way Americans view problems as challenges and the way they focus on a solution.
to do good things for future generations
One reason environmental law is important to Cida is it gives her an opportunity to improve the world now so future generations can benefit.
to handle stress = another way to say ‘to deal with stress’ or ‘to manage stress’
Aromatherapy was an opportunity for Cida to handle stress.
to have a high level of stress
We have several ways to talk about having a high level of stress in English. Here are a few common examples:
- to be/feel stressed out
- to be at the end of one’s rope
- to be overwhelmed
- to be/feel burnt out
to go beyond one’s limits = to go outside your comfort zone
Cida mentioned that to become more fluent in English, it’s important to go beyond your limits
serendipity = making fortunate discoveries by accident
This is Cida’s favorite word. Do you believe in serendipity?
Now that you’ve watched the video and reviewed some of the language from the interview, I’d love to hear from you.
This is a great opportunity to practice what you’ve learned in this interview with Cida. Here are a few questions using today’s key language:
- Who or what do you admire? Why?
- How do you handle stress or what do you do when you’re stressed out?
- Have you ever gone beyond your limits in English? What did you do?
The best place to share with me is in the comments below. I read and give feedback to comments, plus it’s a great way to learn from others in the community. I look forward to hearing from you.
Get the Confidence to Say What You Want in English
Download my free training on how to build the courage and confidence you need to say what you want in English.
You'll also get my Confident English lessons delivered by email every Wednesday and occasional information about available courses. You can unsubscribe any time.
Learn with me
Most Recent Lessons
Learn to effectively discuss the pros and cons in English, whether you need to make an important decision or you want to share you thoughts on a political issue.
Add 20 advanced-level words and expressions to your English vocabulary so you can successfully talk about politics and elections where you live.
Use common sentence starters to make suggestions in English so you can confidently share your ideas and offer alternatives.