Position Overview: ESL/EFL Feedback Specialist
You are a professional in the ESL/EFL industry who is passionate about elevating and empowering women all over the world by helping them develop their English skills to advance in their careers and feel confident in their new English-speaking homes.
You want to shout Yes! to the idea of helping women overcome years of feeling trapped, lonely and frustrated by their own perceived inability to speak fluent English.
You love uncovering the root of linguistic challenges. It may be a consistent grammar error, L1 interference, word order difficulties, or a pronunciation issue — whatever the challenge, you are able to offer practical solutions that have real impact on a student’s abilities and confidence.
You’re an excellent communicator, particularly in writing, and you can simplify complex issues.
The idea of working on small but dynamic virtual team and joining a rapidly growing online language school with a startup culture is thrilling to you.
Speak Confident English is seeking feedback specialists to deliver timely, effective, and personalized feedback to students in our 4-week intensive Fluency School course, which is offered three times per year.
Job Offer Details
- Part-time, contracted position from October 21 – December 4, 2019 for the November Fluency School course.
- 10 – 15 hours of work with flexible hours (including evenings and weekends).
- Join a thriving community of highly-engaged students and a passionate international team.
- Work from anywhere — a home office or while traveling— but you must be able to meet our Internet requirements at all times.
- Competitive flat rate for contract.
Areas of Responsibility
- Assist director and SCE Team in listening to individual recordings and offering personalized, in-depth written feedback to clients on their speaking skills based on Speak Confident English methods.
- Provide clear, meaningful, practical commentary on grammar/vocabulary errors and assist clients in discovering corrections.
- Instruct on opportunities to improve and advance speaking skills such as summarizing, organizing information, sharing opinions, word order, and presenting information.
- Address difficulties with pronunciation, intonation, and stress.
- Communicate with compassion and encouragement to nurture confidence while providing effective corrections and feedback.
- Complete feedback in a timely, professional manner (within 36 hours of client completing a task in their online course).
- Attend occasional small group classes to get more familiar with the students and the Fluency School course.
- Provide support, motivation, and engagement in our private online community.
You’re a great fit for this position if the statements below describe you:
- You understand how to provide and are energized by outstanding customer experience.
- You thrive on going above and beyond and always seek to over-deliver to customers and your team.
- You can communicate in a concise, kind manner that is suited for non-native English speakers.
- Your happiest moment as a teacher is when a student has a breakthrough because of a solution/recommendation you provided.
- You love being on the computer and getting into tech. You’re known for having multiple tabs open in your browser at once and feel withdrawn when you’re not connected.
- You appreciate procedures and checklists; you can follow them easily.
- You keep track of details and nothing slips through the cracks. You almost never have one of those, “I don’t know what happened to that (email, request, document, etc.)” moments.
- You’re a problem solver who loves figuring out the cause and finding an appropriate solution.
- You’re comfortable in a fast-paced environment and you can make the adjustment needed to keep up during crunch times.
- People describe you as being time efficient and a quick learner.
- You love the idea of working on a small, virtual team and with a growing online company.
- You’re tech savvy and comfortable with Google Drive.
- You enjoy engaging with others on social media.
- When facing a problem or challenge, you do what it takes to figure things out first but aren’t afraid to ask for help when needed.
- You’re 100% okay with autonomy and can contribute to a collaborative team.
- You’re able to create a productive routine and eliminate distractions, even while working virtually and from home.
- You’re ready to embrace the values and mission of Speak Confident English and the community it has developed.
If you can say yes to these statements, it’s a huge PLUS.
- You have overseas living and teaching experience.
- You’re proficient or fluent in a second language (B1+ or higher).
This position is not for you if…
- You don’t have strong and reliable Internet service.
- You often have technology problems that freak you out or that you can’t solve.
- You have a slow, old computer that often crashes.
- You prefer daily verbal communication with your supervisor and team over written communication.
- You have limited availability or only want to work Monday – Friday during traditional business hours.
- You don’t accept regular and detailed feedback well.
- You don’t meet deadlines well, have a hard time following through, or struggle with efficiency.
- You easily get overwhelmed and distracted by other tasks or get lost in research.
- You’re looking for a full-time position.
- You’re looking for a “side” job while growing your own online teaching business.
Qualifications and Requirements
*Only* applicants with the following qualifications will be considered:
- TESOL qualification – CELTA or equivalent
- 3 years experience teaching adults/professionals
- An effective communicator, especially in writing and via email
- Ability to keep to deadlines with independent work
- You live in one of the following time zones: GMT – 5, -6, -7, -8 (also know as Eastern, Central, Mountain or Pacific time in the U.S.)
- Highly reliable Internet
- Native English speaker
Location — This position is 100% online; however, please see the note below about availability.
Availability — This position has flexible work hours but does require some evening and weekend hours in order to ensure timely feedback and help students stay on track during the course.
Tools/Equipment — You have your own computer or laptop that is fast, reliable and virus-free. You will need to install Google Drive and Zoom.
We’re looking for someone who cares about our mission and our clients; someone who really wants to be on our team and who embraces what we do with enthusiasm, not someone just looking for an online teaching job. We aim to grow Speak Confident English sustainably with teachers and specialists who can contribute to the company’s vision and offer skilled, compassionate assistance to our professional clients.
How to Apply for the Feedback Specialist Position
- Review this job description to ensure you meet the minimum requirements and are available at the specified times.
- Complete this application.
*Competitive candidates will also be asked to complete an Action Challenge which involves providing feedback to a client. Selected candidates will receive a request to complete this challenge via email.
We recommend reviewing our Fluency School Course Details to get a full picture of the course.
More about Speak Confident English
At Speak Confident English, we act more as coaches and confidants to students seeking social mobility, career opportunities, or comfort in a new English-speaking home: moving to Canada to build a better life and seeking new friendships; adjusting to life as a refugee; working as an executive director and advocate in a human rights organization; a new opportunity to lecture in an international university program; or starting a new company and working with international clients.
Our team works to bring compassion, support, and kindness to the life of each client while also providing practical instruction in how to develop confidence in English. And we believe every success—no matter how big or small—is worthy of celebration.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable with the fact that this will be a contracted, part-time, position but with the potential for additional opportunities based on performance. Speak Confident English aims to grow sustainably with teachers and specialists who can contribute to the company’s vision and offer skilled, compassionate assistance to our professional clients.
**To make the most of your application and get noticed, we recommend getting to know Speak Confident English. Here are some great places to start:
To get an idea of what our Fluency School course is all about and the importance of the Feedback Specialist role, please review our Fluency School Course Details page and listen to interviews with Fluency School graduates.
Speak Confident English values the role of its teachers and specialists. We seek to grow a sustainable, committed team and view this as an investment in the company. As a result, we work to provide competitive compensation.
Full details for compensation will be discussed with competitive candidates in the job interview.