It’s Blustery! How to Talk about Winter Weather in English
A few weeks ago, I received an email with a question. Ahmad wrote and said, “Thank you very much for your emails and classes. I would like to hear from you about winter weather and the winter season in English. I like it so much, but I do not have good words to use when I speak about it, the positive points about it as an example.”
I loved this question for two reasons:
- My goal is always to help you have the words you need when you want to communicate easily and naturally in English. If you want to be able to talk about winter weather and the winter season in English, then I want you to do that with the same language native speakers use.
- Where I live, we’re in the dead of winter, so it’s the perfect time to focus on this topic.
To get advanced language and common expressions for winter weather and the winter season in English (like ‘the dead of winter’), watch today’s video and then be sure to check out the challenge questions I have for you below.
The good, the bad, and the ugly of winter in English.
Lesson by Annemarie
Advanced Language for Winter Weather and the Winter Season in English
Here is just some of the key language from today’s video lesson:
- In the dead of winter [idiom] – in the middle of winter, during the coldest, darkest period
- In the height of summer [idiom] – in the middle of summer, during its warmest, lightest period
- Invigorating [adjective] – to be filled with life or energy; energizing
- To shiver [verb] – a sometimes uncontrollable body movement or tremble in response to feeling cold
- Brisk [adjective] – lively, alert, energized; sharp
- Cozy [adjective] – offering warmth and ease; providing comfort
- Bleak [adjective] – empty or barren; lacking warmth
- Slush [noun] – melted or watery snow
After you’ve watched the video, I’d love to hear your thoughts about winter weather and the winter season!
In the comments below, share with me and practice new language from the lesson.
- What is the winter season like where you live?
- How to do you feel about the winter season – are you a lover or a hater?
- And finally, how do you spend your time during the winter?
I look forward to hearing from you!
Say What <em><strong> You Want</strong></em> in English
Download my free audio training on how to build the courage and confidence you need to say what you want in English.
You might also like:
Learn with me