Modern Travel English You Need to Know
Do you travel for fun or for business? If yes, you’ve probably noticed how much travel has changed over the last 10 years and that means our language has changed as well. Sometimes you might feel stuck looking for the right words to use for modern travel needs. So let’s get a closer look at the modern travel English you need to know.
Here are just a few things that are new-ish in travel:
- Security checks at airports take longer and can be stressful but at least we have better in-flight entertainment
- We want free WIFI so we can use email, social media, and map apps anywhere we go
- In addition to hotels and resorts, we can also rent someone’s home or apartment or we can house sit for our vacation
- We can review menus online and use restaurant apps to find the best local, authentic cuisine or just get something delivered to our vacation apartment
So what language are English speakers using today to handle all these desires? That’s exactly what you’re going to learn today! In today’s Confident English lesson, you’ll learn what to say for airline travel, dealing with wifi, staying in touch with people you meet, and more.
And be sure to review the challenge questions I have below. It’s a great opportunity to practice some of the new vocabulary you learn.
What you need to know to travel with confidence in English.
Lesson by Annemarie
If you’ve enjoyed this lesson, be sure to check out my additional lessons on travel English:
Challenge Questions for Modern Travel English Practice
Now that you’ve watched the video, let’s practice! I’ve got two challenge questions for you:
- Choose 2-3 new words you learned in the video. Share a story about a travel experience you had using those words.
- In English, we say, ‘travel broadens the mind.’ In other words, when you travel you learn new things about the world, the people and places you see; you become more open-minded. Do you agree? Why?
I would love to hear from you! Be sure to share your thoughts, comments, and questions in the comment section below.
Finally, if you have a question about travel English or if you’ve heard a really great expression, I’d love to know about it! Share with me below.
Have a fantastic Confident English Wednesday!
Get the Confidence to Say What You Want in English
Download my free training on how to build the courage and confidence you need to say what you want in English.
You'll also get my Confident English lessons delivered by email every Wednesday and occasional information about available courses. You can unsubscribe any time.
Learn with me
Most Recent Lessons
English collocations are the words that native English speakers combine naturally. Like make new friends (not create new friends). Learn 10 English collocations with the word say to sound more natural and fluent in your English conversation.
Avoid common mistakes and learn how to use the present perfect in English correctly — every time. Understand when and how to use it, plus all the examples you need.
Advice on how to communicate clearly in English and avoid the pressure of using advanced, high-level English. Join me for this special guest interview with Shanthi from English with a Twist.